Tax Preparation for Individuals: What You Need in Your Meeting

Personal Information

  • Legal Information (full legal names, date of birth & social security number or tax id for yourself, your spouse and your dependents)

Income-Related Documents

(not all will apply)

  • Form W-2 (wage and salary income)
  • Form W-2G (gambling winnings)
  • Form 1099-A (foreclosure of a home)
  • Form 1099-B (sales of stock, bonds, or other investments)
  • Form 1099-C (canceled debts)
  • Form 1099-DIV (dividends)
  • Form 1099-G (state tax refunds and unemployment compensation)
  • Form 1099-INT (interest income)
  • Form 1099-K (business or rental income processed by third party networks)
  • Form 1099-LTC (benefits received from a long-term care policy)
  • Form 1099-MISC (self-employment and other various types of income)
  • Form 1099-OID (original issue discount on bonds)
  • Form 1099-PATR (patronage dividends)
  • Form 1099-Q (distributions from an education savings plan)
  • Form 1099-QA (distributions from an ABLE account)
  • Form 1099-R (distributions from individual retirement accounts, 401(k) plans, and other types of retirement savings plans)
  • Form 1099-S (proceeds from the sale of real estate)
  • Form 1099-SA (distributions from health savings accounts)
  • Form SSA-1099 (Social Security benefits)
  • Form RRB-1099 (Railroad retirement benefits)
  • Schedule K-1 (income from partnerships, S corporations, estates, or trusts)

It’s possible that you might have received income during the course of the year that’s not reported on any of these forms. For example, someone may have paid you $500 for work. This doesn’t require that the company or individual submit a 1099-MISC form to you or on your behalf because the threshold is $600 as of 2017. Regardless, you are required to report and pay taxes on that income. This includes income from foreign financial investments or rental income.

Expense-Related Documents

  • Form 1097-BTC (bond tax credit)
  • Form 1098 (mortgage interest)
  • Form 1098-C (charitable contribution of vehicles)
  • Form 5498 (IRA Contributions)
  • Form 5498-SA (health savings account contributions)
  • Form 1098-E (student loan interest)
  • Form 1098-MA (homeowner mortgage payments)
  • Form 1098-T (tuition for higher education)
  • Business expenses (summarized by type and amount)
  • Child care expenses (summarized by provider and amount)
  • Alimony expenses
  • Gambling losses
  • Medical expenses
  • Moving expenses
  • Personal property tax, such as car registration paid
  • Real estate tax bills
  • Homeowner expenses
  • Realized gain/loss report for any stocks, bonds, mutual funds and other capital investments sold during the year
  • Receipts or acknowledgement letters for gifts to charity
  • Rental expenses (summarized by property, type, and amount)

If you have a question regarding whether or not an expense is tax deductible, please bring us the documentation of the expense and we will help in the determination.
​ If you are missing information, please let us know as soon as possible and we will give you options on the best way to obtain the missing information.

***If you are a new client, please bring a copy of your last two year’s completed tax returns.

Schedule Your Free Tax Assessment